<jdennis@acslink.net.au> writes:

>>From what I have read we have the situation where trains can travel
>>across facing points without any indication of their setting.  Are the
>>annett keys interlocked with anything so that either trains cannot
>>enter the section of they are removed from "the box", or the Train
>>Controller cannot issue authority to proceed?

The Annett Keys are not secured in anything other than a padlocked box.

>>To me it seems scary stuff indeed that trains can be travelling at
>>full speed over facing points protected by nothing more than a key,
>>without even any visual indication.

I'm currently inspecting the facilities in Queensland, plenty of facing
points secured by nothing other than a hand locking bar & padlock...

> From Johns post above it might be well worth asking what is now the
> state on lines which are now train order which used to be ES or OS.
> In those days mainline points were always staff locked , so that a
> driver could be reasonably assured that if he had the staff ,then all
> points over which he had to travel were locked, (excluding points
> protected by signals.)

> Whats the situation now with train orders on the same lines?

Most Points in TO territory are secured by Master Key Locks, and the
Driver of each train is issued with a Master Key, the Number of which
is recorded on the Train Order.  Some sidings however, (non-passenger
areas only) have only HLB's though.

> There must be some level of concern re safety of unattended points as
> the new CRT siding at Paisley has a switch lock,as distinct from a
> key.

The Switchlock (is it fully commissioned yet?) is configured so when
the finger trigger (??) is pulled out, the repeaters are replaced to
the warning position Y/Y but won't release the switchlock until a 5
minute run down has occured.  The repeaters do proove the points.

> At least in SA where train orders have existed for a long time , all
> points were fitted with switch stands which at least provided some
> visual indication of state of points .

But were the sighting points & braking curves adequate?

Notagunzel

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.