Re: [VIC] Electrification to Melton ?

Vaughan Williams wrote:

> Melton electrification has been promised by both parties at elections
> over the years since the 1950s

The 1950's is probably stretching it a bit.  Electrification for Melton
didn't really become an issue until the early 1970's.  However given the
state of the current electric stock I'd much prefer the H & N sets.

> What Melton should get is a half hourly Sprinter service to Ballarat
> (stopping NM - Sunshine - Melton - Bacchus - Ballan - Ballarat) which
> would then alternate between continuing west to Ararat or north to
> Maryborough. This train could drop a carriage at Melton, depending on
> the patronage.

As far as the sprinters are concerned the best thing they could do with
those is to dump them in the same place at Clayton as the old Harris
sets were. Improvements to the service could be achieved right now with
existing rolling stock, and tighter schedules.  Transit times for
services on the Bacchus Marsh line have not altered since the 1970's.

> I'd say its a long way down the list. Sunbury and Craigieburn are far
> more pressing.
>

> Vaughan

Items on the adgenda that need attention is that excuse for a signalling
system between Deer Park West and Rockbank.  No Y2K probelms with that
one. It's lucky if that thing works from day to day.