The privatised fine system for Vic pass. operators

Hi,

Two days in a row I have seen classic examples of delays caused by events
uncontrollable by the railways and tramways. Firstly, on a down
Broadmeadows train last night, delayed 15 minutes at Ascot Vale by the
collapse of a person. Secondly, a pretty bad car accident on Elizabeth
Street blocking the tram tracks.

Example 1: I won't go into the full graphical details, but a young man,
probably suffering an overdose managed to crawl off a train and collapse
onto the platform at Ascot Vale station last night. As a result, the driver
got out, along with a few people and assisted this person. Driver called up
an ambulance via his radio to Metrol. By the time the ambulance arrived
after this incident, and the ambulance officers got sufficient details from
any witnesses, 15 minutes had passed.

Example 2: Today I decided to catch a tram to Moonee Ponds then catch a
train home from there, rather than endure the City Loop which i do every
day of each week. By the time the tram arrived at Latrobe Street, we
stopped. We stood still for a few minutes, before I looked back to notice
that a B2 was stopped just past the lights. Everyone got out and walked.
Trams were banked up either side of the A'Beckett Street intersection for
quite some distance. Further inspection revealed an SS commodore and a
small car ("fartbox") in the intersection. Commodore with front crushed in,
and fartbox with side crushed in. Mica ambulance was present so things
weren't good it seemed :( Meanwhile, the trams on the Latrobe Street side
were blocked in. The up trams on the Queen Vic Market side couldn't get
through either, however were redestined to the destinations that were on
the trams on the Flinders Street side. I hence had a very interesting ride
on a DOWN tram running for about half a km on the UP track. We crossed over
just past the Queen Vic Market intersection. All the trams that were on the
up did this, while trams at the points after the intersection had to wait
until the section had cleared before going through, im not sure what
happened after this.

This poses questions, of course.

1) With Kennett's flawed(tm) contract system between the rail/tram
operators, are there provisions where things beyond their control can waive
a given fine for all delays and short running (trams terminating at
A'Beckett Street) caused as a direct result?

2) Are there any special rules regarding the running of down trams on an up
line, and vice versa, taking into consideration that I believe that section
of road is a shared roadway (broken yellow line) and trams would have been
running against cars.

Well that's my weekend so far, off to Wheezing William tomorrow, wonder
what will happen there with this weekends track (pun not intended) record
so far?

ObFaveLocoSighting - T345 and T377 looking magnificent passing the sg/bg
flyover taking a works train to the Fighting Ground (viaduct between
Spencer Street and Flinders Street, where drivers fight for the next path
into Flinders Street).

Regards
Michael

--
Michael Kurkowski
Email: mk@netstra.com.au

What is the point of having quotes at the end of your .sig?