Re: canberra tramway

Stephen Cox (scox@pcug.org.au) wrote:
> It has been previously stated that Canberra would need a minimum population
> of 500,000 to support light rail and we're nowhere near that.  Its a fairly
> spread out city so the traffic density just wouldn't warrant the route
> mileage required.

The fact that Canberra is spread out is justification alone. It's not
uniformly spread out, but clusters of urban areas. Canberra is essentially
a number of suburb clusters with green space in between - North Canberra,
Belconnen, Woden, Tuggeranong, etc.

The ACT government feels they are justified to spend tens of millions of
dollars on freeways (e.g. John Dedman Parkway), so why not light rail.
Read Canberra at the Crossroads some time.

Cheers
David