[Melb] Showgrounds Loop Line (signal UR247)

Just a quick note to say that signal UR247 on the Showgrounds Loop line
has been extinushed, covered and crossed (with a black cross) and the
trip arm removed.

The reason for this is the bend between Showgrounds and Flemington
curves to the left and there is one signal on the left (R247) for the
down line and one on the right (UR247) for the loop line.

The problem was that drivers were confussed and thought this was
a co-acting signal for the one on the left.  The problem came about
when there was a train stabled in the loop line UR247 would be at
stop and R247 would be at proceed.  For a co-acting signal having
one at stop and one at proceed would be something is wrong and you
stop.  It wad too hard to tell the drivers that it was not a co-acting
signal (the first time I saw it I was confussed).

So the signla has been put out of use, if they ever use the loop line
as a loop line then they might make the signal go again, but I don't
see them using the loop line for anything other than a siding.

--

Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord

e-mail: cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au