Tramways in Wollongong?

Hi,

In Port Kembla, there is a main road called Military Road... it is 2 lanes
each way, and leads from near Port Kembla rail station and locomotive
works, up past the copper smelter and onto Hill Sixty, which was once a
military encampment and gun emplacement during World War Two.

The center lanes of Military Road are in concrete, but the outer lanes and
parking lanes are bitumenised.... it looks very similar to many roads in
inner Sydney where there were formerly tram lines...... now I'm wondering
this - was this once a tramline of sorts? I would think that such a tramway
would have been rather purposeful, given the location of the copper smelter
(hey, there's gotta be some way of getting workers from the station to the
smelter) and also to service the Hill Sixty emplacement (you think your
average 1940's underpowered truck could pull multi-tonne armaments up a
1-in-8 grade?)

Regards,
Bradley.