Cityrail off-peak fares during upgrade

The Blacktown upgrade sounds pretty horrid:

    	"From Monday 6 to Friday 10 December, CityRail passengers travelling to
and from the Blue Mountains should plan to add at least one hour to their
regular journey times"

Check out http://www.cityrail.nsw.gov.au/Media/index.htm

Cityrail have announced that areas affected by the Blacktown upgrades
will be offered the off-peak fare.

But how damm useful are off-peak fares?

Looking at Katoomba for example.  The off-peak return is $11.80 while the
weekly is $49.  So it is of absolutely no benefit if you travel >= 5 days a
week.

I'd be pretty pissed if I had to get up an hour early and got home
an hour late and still got no compensation.