Re: Derailment near Olympic site

Kingpin wrote in message ...
>Just heard a train jumped the tracks on the Olympic Loop pissing off
thousands
>trying to get home from the soccer or get to the baseball.
>
>I can see this happening again during the Olympics!
>From http://www.abc.net.au/news/state/nsw/metnsw-14nov1999-8.htm ...

Sun, 14 Nov 1999 18:06 AEDT

Homebush train derailment causes havoc for soccer fans

A train derailment outside Homebush Bay is causing havoc for the thousands
of soccer fans trying to leave Stadium Australia.

It is understood the Tangara train came off the tracks at the junction of
the Western Line and the line into Olympic Park about an hour before the end
of the match between the Socceroos and Brazil.

City Rail's public affairs manager Wayne Geddes says the timing at least
allowed them to alert the public and put contingency plans in place.

There's a report at http://www.news.com.au/ and a fuller report (WITH
PICTURE) at http://www.smh.com.au/news/9911/15/pageone/pageone3.html ... my
guess is that the picture shows a train through catchpoints where the
Lidcombe-to-Olympic Park and Sydney-to-Olympic Park lines converge just
south of Parramatta Road.

Rgds

Bill