Re: [WA] Zanthus collision 18 Aug

david <david@nmit.vic.edu.au> wrote in message
381F9A79.4B4181C1@nmit.vic.edu.au">news:381F9A79.4B4181C1@nmit.vic.edu.au...
> According the the first post, the accident was part due to the points been
changed
> to reverse by the train in the loop. And the system locked  him long
enough  to
> cause the crash
> - which is sort of what is been discussed now - the points did lock the
settings !

> What I wouild like to know is the train in the loop , why did they set for
the loop,
> or didn't they know and were trying to set for the  main ? Surly they knew
they were
> crossing !
> and ideas as to the  actual sequence that happended ?

I have heard a rumour that the individual (i.e. freight train crew member)
involved has been known to do this kind of thing before and underwent
psychiatric assessment during the subsequent inquiry. I don't know how true
that is or not. Nothing was mentioned in the Channel 9 news report of the
inquiry results about that angle and it is highly likely that a psychiatric
assessment is standard practice these days anyway in accident inquiries with
any form of human involvement!

It's an interesting angle though (i.e. the possibility of an unbalanced
person causing the accident) - one that hadn't occurred to me.