Re: [MELB] Old Tram Signs

Mathew Klock wrote:

> I found a sign a while back at a bus stop saying "Hail Trams Here"
>
> Strangly it was at least 20km from the nearest tram stop

While not saying you are mistaken, I wonder if such a sign could be from
Melbourne?

Melbourne's tram stops, until the Zs arrived in the mid-1970s, always
had signs that said HAIL CARS HERE  and CARS STOP HERE. It was only with
the coming of the Zs that the word "tram" was used in such signs and
then the signs said TRAM STOP.

However there were two lines not run by the MMTB and which are now buses
and with their outer reaches a long way from any tram line -- the St
Kilda to Brighton railways tram and the Sandringham to Black Rock
railways tram. Is this bus stop perchance  in either of those areas?  I
have no idea what tram stop signs were used on those lines, which closed
before I was born. None of the photos I have of those lines show a stop.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand