Re: Trolleybus in Hong Kong

Sorry the clip is dated 23/10/1999 (forgot to mention that)

Hubert <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message 7vjq5o$jef$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:7vjq5o$jef$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
The trolleybuses were to be NEAR Ocean Park, not necessarily from Central through
the Tunnel to the Park, but around Wong Chuk Hang area. Most Ocean Park buses
actually operate from Admiralty MTR anyway.

Just for your interest, TVB Jade has their 6.30 news broadcast over the web each
night. Click on the link below to view the particular story on trolleybuses.
Unfortunately I can't find the TVB Pearl one but just look at where the trolleybuses
will run (shown in red on a map).

http://203.80.96.30/news/1999/1023/j04_56k.rm

Hubert

Dave McL <davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote in message
381d617a@news.iprolink.co.nz">news:381d617a@news.iprolink.co.nz...
Hubert wrote:

> The latest news reported that Citybus planned to introduce it somewhere near
> southern part of HK Island (ie South end of Aberdeen Tunnel), perhaps near Ocean
> Park :-)

Why there, though, Hubert? The buses to Aberdeen and Ocean Park are
mostly expresses from Central. Do you mean they plan to wire the # 70
through the tunnel? Or the #73 local from Aberdeen to Ocean Park?  Yet
why would anyone introduce a local trolleybus at the outlying end of the
DD bus routes from Central to Aberdeen? Though the patronage is high
enough out there, especially to Ocean Park on weekends, it is hardly
anything like the huge seven-day patronage on the routes from TST up to
Yau Ma Tei or Mong Kok and the like which is what the proposal I saw was
for.

Trolleybuses cost a lot of money to install because of the cost of the
overhead wire and substations and surely there are far more worthwhile
places to run them than a local line from Aberdeen to Ocean Park?

Not doubting you, just very interested.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand