Re: CityRail Ticket Gates (was: St Leonards, NSW)

Just got on a 4 car T set running on the "drug link" (Y Link). Three RPOs there
booking people for not having a ticket. At least 10 were caught in one single car.

SO much for the people that travel on that line.

Eric Cartman <erkemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Hi Dave

Some comments regarding your post on the subject:

>Gated stations are actually ideal for RPO attention - every ticket does not
>have to be checked (the gates do that) so they can concentrate on those
that
>make the orange light glow (concession tickets) and those without tickets.

Totally agree.

>One even easier way of doing this (and they would need to educate people
>first, and even then not at City stations in the middle of the morning
>peak - although.....) is to set the gates to "Full Fare" only and
>"Concession Fare" only - then you have an RPO on that gate, checking
>everyone as they go through (rather than what you have now, a few of the
>standing around waiting for the lights to come on).

I agree there too, part of the problem (not the fault of the public, RPO's
or station staff) is that the barriers and the surrounding area are not very
well signed (even with recent new, wider barriers at Sydney Central or new
signage at Wynyard). There are very few stations that even indicate (above
person height) which way the gates are operating. If the signage was better
(like the change/no change situation on motorways etc), it would be
operationally easier to check concessions by having a concession line as you
suggested -  if the PC people don't object of course :). Also, when the
RPO's are "standing around waiting for the light to go on", they are also
looking for (and in a good postion to stop) persons leaving the station by
jumping the barriers,  sneaking behind someone else or backtracking and
escaping.

Eric
www.webalias.com/erknet