Re: Melbourne Aus 80th anniversary of suburban electrification

David Bromage wrote:

> David McLoughlin wrote:
>
> > What pedantic nonsense.
> >
> > The St Kilda to Brighton tramway was a tram, was a tram, was a tram,
> > using standard electric tramcars running wholly on street tracks down
> > the middle of the roads, collecting their motive power from overhead
> > wires via tolleypoles.
>
> As I said earlier, there is a legal distinction between a railway and a tramway.
> If the Act said it was an electric street railway, then it was a
> railway.

And an electric street railway is a tram. To anyone but a pedant.

They are called street railways in much of the US, and operate
streetcars. In much of German-speaking Europe they are called
Strassenbahnen (street railways) and operate strassenbahnwagen
(streetcars).

I can't fathom why people are trying to claim the St Kilda-Brighton tram
was a train. It was not. It was a street tramway that operated electric
trams.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand