Re: 80th anniversary of suburban electrification

John Dennis wrote:

> On 24 May 1999 08:28:36 GMT, "Roderick Smith" <rodsmith@werple.net.au>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat.29.5 Melbourne (Victoria, Australia) is celebrating the 80th
> >anniversary of the introduction of suburban electric services.
>
> Not according to all of us.  David Bromage insists that the tram from
> St Kilda to Brighton was a railway, and hence electric railways in the
> suburbs existed way before 1919.   :-)

That's not quite what I insisted. There was a private railway from St
Kilda to Brighton before it was a tramway, owned by one incarnation of
the Mebourne & Hobson's Bay (United?) Railway Company. If you go to the
Latrobe Library you can find copies of the timetables in Bradshaw's.

However, VR did count its tramways as electric railways.

Cheers
David