Re: Rail & the GST.

mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:

> Thanks for this explanation.
> I must confess that I am somewhat confused as to how this tax works.
> In reality though for the case of rail , who is the final consumer who pays
> the tax?
> For example , a large component of FVs tonnage is wheat and grain which is
> exported to Japan and other countries , finally made into bread and cereals
> and sold to "the final consumer".
> How does the Tax man collect the tax from the final consumer .
> Same goes for all coal exports and iron ore .
> In every case , the final consumer isnt in this country and cant be compelled
> to pay an Australia Tax.

Yep, "how the bloody hell" does the GST work.

I am as confused as you are, but surely Australia
deserves a better tax system.

If the Libs are inept at explaining, then the ACTU
through its political wing, the Australian Labor Party
have no answers on this one.  Keating tried years ago
when he was the "world's best treasurer", he got
crunched by the ACTU, the same mob now sitting on the
front bench of the Labor Federal Opposition today.

Still, .....poetic justice, thanks to a screwball
voting system for the Australian Senate, the Australian
Democrats are the opposition now, with plenty of power
to wield, it will be so until the next election.

The Australian Labor Party on the National scene, are
well and truly impotent.

----Terry Burton
<< remove OZ for Email reply.>>