Re: guard/driver training (was: "Olympic Sprint Platform - Lidcombe")

MarkBau1 wrote:

> In 8 years of driving sparks I cannot recall once instance of a guard helping a
> troublesome situation, in fact the reverse was usually true, they often got in
> the way.

You drove in Melboring, not Sydney.  The guards up here are trained how to fix
problems.  Some even remember it.  I can recall many instances of the guard
helping, but I will tell you one.  At Cronulla, I had to divide and 8 car tangara.
Whilst walking through the train between Caringbah and Woolooware (another story),
I noticed extreme rough riding at one end of the 6th car.  Upon arrival at
Cronulla, I found the airbag levelling arm which attaches to the bogie had lost its
bolt and was hanging on the track.  20 minutes later, with half a roll of packing
tape applied had the train leaving on time with the airbag inflated again.  Had I
not done this repair, the train would not have left Cronulla for hours.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard