Re: R711's exploits today

G'day,

Notagunzel wrote:

> Departure was on time, 7 mins lost in the first section a/c SR's a/c
> welding. Further time was lost thruout the journey, 17 down by Geelong.
> Water was taken at the new high speed watering facility at Colac, consisting
> of 2 2nd hand overhead stanchions, a beam across the top, supporting a water
> column directly above the track, discharging straight into the tender.
> Similar structures are provided at each end of the yard.  The watering took
> 7 mins vs the 5 tabled.

The track welding seems to have progressed as far as Deakin Uni (several kms out
of town).  The speed restriction on recently welded track is only 50km/h.  The
lost time in running is partly due to the 100km/h running (and 115km/h
timetable), this is expected to be raised to 115 when the track is welded.  The
7 mins at Colac for water, well it was only the second time the loco had taken
water there, so I'd say the guys will get better with practice.

> After Geelong, some time was regained, arrival into Spencer St being 13
> late.  This trip was apparently the R has been let loose without a diesel,
> although test running was apparently carried out with a diesel dead
> attached.  Even with a short train (by WCR standards) the R lost time, we
> were speculating that it may be assisted by diesel on a regular basis.

Most test running included a diesel, last Monday (before race day) was the first
time we ran without.

> The biggest problem with the day was the annoying presence of 2 escapees
> from the asylum, luckily they were with the common people in pleb class, not
> with the connoisseurs in First :o)

I hope you're not referring to the on-train staff :)

I'm Conny on that train next week, if anyone's there I'll be (weather
permitting) leaving the top half of the ACZ stable doors, and the saloon door
open, so first class ticketholders can take in the sounds of 711 at work!

Cheers,
CH.
--
Craig Haber