Re: Sydney Rail History

"Simon Moore" <simon@eltonward.com.au> wrote:

>I would be interested if anybody knows of a good book about the history of
>metropolitan railways in Sydney. I'm basically interested in any information
>of former plans which have gone astray, closed lines and stations (if any),
>and any underlying politial reasons behind the whole thing. Perhaps as part
>of a broader history of Sydney?

>Any help, I would be grateful.

The following all touch on the subject:

1.	Alfred, J. Across the bridge. Canberra City: Traction
Publications;1960. 43pp.

2.	Bayley, WA. Sydney suburban steam railways. 1 ed. Bulli:
Austrail Publications;19xx. 64pp.

3.	Clark, LA. North of the Harbour, A brief history of transport.
1 ed. Broadmeadow: Newey & Beath;1976. 168pp.

4.	Dornan, SE,  Henderson, RG. The electric railways of New South
Wales. 1 ed. Sydney: Australian Electric Traction Association;1976.
96pp.

5.	Keenan, DR,  Clark, HR. First stop Central. 1 ed. Sydney:
Australian Electric Traction Associtaion;1963. 138pp.

There are more modern versioins of some of these, the ones above are
ones in my database.

Geoff Lambert