Re: Claremont Cabin open day - 1st May 1999

Hi David,

The May open day was fantastic! Which I am happy to say seems to be a building
trend and may be directly due to the lever re-activation program, and a couple
of initiatives being trialled by the Claremont Cabin Group for this year.

1.    Thanks to the extended open hours (we're now open from 09:30 to 16:00
instead of just 2 hours in the morning) we are starting to get about 10 to 15
visitors a day. Our previous average attendance was much, much lower.

2.    We now have two thirds of the levers in the cabin back in use, taking it
back to 1983 - just after the first track rationalisation which took out
Platforms 4, 5 and most of the goods yard. Even so, this has increased our
scope of possible simulations and allowed us to include failure scenarios, and
the work-arounds, thus increasing the authenticity.

3.    We are now working to a timetable every month. The frequent bell codes
seem to attract passers by, and gives those who venture in, added incentive to
stay for a while. Also, thanks to the creative timetable work of one of our
volunteers, there is always something going on, whether there is anyone from
the public there or not, (which also gives us the fun of working the cabin)
and anyway, it's easier to start explanations  if trains are already 'on the
board'.

As an example, of how good our sessions are becoming, one of the visitors, was
so caught up in the demonstration, that he didn't want to leave until he'd
seen the 'Goods Train' go past that had just been 'put on'. No. He wasn't
kidding - and he was a mature age person of apparently sound mind! He was so
sincere, he even had me wondering what he was hanging around for. :-))

We are still looking for some more volunteers though...

Perhaps one day, you'll come over and have a look?

Regards,
Chris. French.

David Langley wrote:

> Chris French wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > For those you may be near enough, the Claremont Signal Cabin  is OPEN
> > tomorrow (01/05/1999) from 09:30 am to 4:00 pm.
> >

> Hi Chris,
>
> How did the open day go. Bit far for us but one day. My excuse is I'm
> waiting for you to finish getting all the levers working - but then if you
> believe that then you will .......
>
> David.
begin:vcard
n:French;Chris
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Signalling Interest Group of Western Australia
version:2.1
email;internet:cfrench@starwon.com.au
title:Co-ordinator
adr;quoted-printable:;;http://www.starwon.com.au/~cfrench/Signals/Sigwa.htm=0D=0AP. O. Box 250;ARMADALE;Western Australia;6992;Australia