New stuff on Hitachi's

Hi,

This a bit trivial, but I'm sure spark / Hitachi fans will be interested
to know.  Something I only just found out today:

As some people may be aware, the Hitachi fleet is currently going through
another modification program.  Three things are done at the same time,
these are:   1.   Removal of Oil/Kerosine burning lanterns and covering
over the hole with sheet metal of the front of all motor cars.    2.
Fitting of new cab door locks, lockwood brand (instead of H keys).  This
mod can be seen easily, as a new keyhole is positioned about 30cm away
from the door, underneath the drivers/gaurds window.     3.  Modifications
to the park braking system (further details not known).

Anyway, the news is:  a 3 car Hitachi with the above mentioned mods can
only be coupled and run with a 3 car Hitachi which has also had the mods.
And VV of course.
The reason for this is the park braking modifications.

Does anyone know anything about the park brake mods and why can't a 3
car set with the new system be used with a set with the old system?

Thanks, and I hope everyone sleeps well tonight knowing this new piece of
information. :)

Gareth

              Gareth Lumsden,   RMIT University Student
         E-MAIL (text only) : s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au
           E-MAIL (secondary account) : glums112@yahoo.com
 GARETH'S RAILWAY WEB PAGE:  http://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/~s9763278