Re: Epping Maintenance Depot Spark Transfers

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Jennifer Richmond wrote:

> Gareth Lumsden wrote:
> >  I am unsure of X class locos on these moves though, the
> > Hurstbridge line can only take a T, Y or P class loco, unsure of the
> > Epping line.  It did have an L class up there a few months back, but the
> > X's are a bit more heavier than an L.
>
> I thought it had to do with the sharpness of the curves in the West Richmond
> tunnels. I know that many country passenger carriages aren't permitted through
> these tunnels for this reason.

Sam

That is true also.
But it is not necessary due to the sharpness of the curves, but the narrow
walls and low roof of the tunnels.
Because of compartively low volume of traffic on the EPP/HBE lines, the
tracks are not able to carry heavy rollingstock items. (ie. X class loco
or heavier).
Those tunnels are the reason why the 4D cannot come out to Clifton
Hill and beyond.

Gareth