Re: Lets Standardise instead!

Maurie Daly wrote:

> Having said all this though , there are a couple of areas where guage
> conversion would make some sense .
> If FV sees a market in SW NSW for grain products, then guage conversion of
> Mangalore to Tocumwal,and the re-opening of Naranderra to Tocumwal would make
> a lot of sense.
> Such a conversion , would see the BG line north of Seymour closed ,and VLP run
> its pass trains on SG,and VLF run its freights on SG.

You could also close the Double line BG between Broady and Seymour, or alternatively convert
the double track to SG and close the existing SG.

> This would increase the utilization of the SG line to around 60%-70%,and would
> provide additional income to ARTC , and also more customers for the line who
> could in turn apply pressure for the line to be completely upgraded to 60KG/m
> on concrete,as this level of traffic would justify it.
> Railing grain from SW NSW to Geelong via Naranderra / Tocumwal is a hell of
> a lot cheaper than going to Sydney, due to the lack of severe grades facing
> Geelong bound trains,even from places as far away as Hillston.
>
> Of course Freightcorp wont like any of this , but this is what competition is
> all about.
>
> cheers
> MD

The other option for reopening and re-guaging is the the Heywood Mt Gambier line. There is
alot of traffic potential available to FV from that area. The Glenelg River bridge was only
just replace a couple of years before they closed the line down and I think the line was also
upgraded.

The best option for FV would be to convert everything to SG.

Gavin Potter.

e.mail: (home) gavpot@ozemail.com.au
 (work) gavin.potter@agric.nsw.gov.au

 http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gavpot
"Planning without action is futile. Action without planning
is fatal."  -Alan Speigel.