Re: Perth Southern Rail link

O/K, but this is basically old news. The only thing that's new is the link
to sale of Alinta Gas.

Court is supposedly a Christian, so knows about the return of Christ being
"imminent" - perhaps even soon enough for his political salvation! Of course
there is the issue of our mortality - so indeed, maybe some won't be around
to ride on it. But then again, you can ride all day on vaporware in
Cyberspace!

DW

Forster Family Inc wrote in message
<7c8c7u$omi$1@centipede.wantree.com.au>...

>Perth,the car capital of the Southern hemisphere,

Noel, this is off-track: Perth is not the car capital - you misunderstand
the nature of the coalition - the Nationals (read Country Party) have to
have some portfolios - they get transport. The cockies want cheap transport
to/from port and fertiliser plants - the miners want cheap access to port
(among other political aspirations).

No we're NOT the car capital, we're the ROAD TRAIN capital - and those
double-bottom road trains - and for you feeble eastern staters, we mean a
FULL semi rig (42.5 -> 44.0 t GCM, 19m) towing another full semi rig (36.0t,
15m) - running along residential streets (that's right, streets with houses
with people living in them - people who don't vote National, of course).

We only get new roads for trucks, or new roads to get enough cars out of the
way that big trucks can be allowed. Since Freo managed to put the Khybers on
the Western Suburbs Hwy (Stirling [on Mitchell Fwy)] - Servitus St upgrade -
Stirling Bridge - Coogee - Rockingham), a north-south truck route for
Osborne Park, Joondalup and Wangara has been an issue. Tonkin Hwy is not
suited to all this traffic, so it seems some strengthening of the Narrows
Bridge then B-doubles and "LONG VEHICLES" (short road trains) will be on the
Mitchell-Kwinana Fwy route as well. The Polly Farmer Fwy (City Northern
tunnel bypass) linking to Orrong Rd points straight into Kewdale, Belmont,
Welshpool and thence Forrestfield, and the Airport. Anyone expecting no
trucks along there - ahem!!?? This is metro road freight strategy, not an
answer for private motorists. BTW, Fremantle as a port can be expected to
die of strangulation. Once a container port is established at Kwinana, the
whole shebang can become a marine playground and massively overpriced
character residential area.

Some will remember I mentioned Jarrahdale here back in November '98. Well,
I'm working with the local council on transport and heritage issues
including the railway, and as part of this, have had to read up on the
current strategies and initiatives - Transform WA - as well as ongoing Main
Roads program works. Very interesting!

DW

>By the way there is a election next year so the pork barrel has been rolled
>out early.
>Stay tuned, there could be some interesting developments over the next few
>years.

Who says Richard CARRn't pork-barrel with the REST of 'em.

DW