Re: Sydney Ghan, from the other end.

telljb@ozemail.com.au (< Tell >) writes: > For those folks who have yet to pick up on it.

> MEMO GSR, ......try situps as well, and, ask National
> Rail to front up with photos of their NR class on the
> head of The Ghan.!  Our local paper, produced a fine
> photograph of GM-1 all spick and span in Australian
> National livery with the Ghan headboard.
> Hey, I like the old Clyde GM's, but they are not
> pulling the Ghan any more.!

When I last checked GSR's website, they had a nice .gif file of
one of their trains, hauled by something that looked suspiciously
like a GM with AN logos!

One interesting point -  when their trains were hauled by the CLP's,
the engines had a magnetic attraction for both press and TV cameras.
The media probably didn't realise why,other than the fact that they
looked to the layman like a "real" passenger train engine, from
countless films etc of classic American railroads.  I've noticed
that since the advent of NR's "hook and pull" contract, the NR
locos don't seem to get the same attention!

Maybe this is just sentiment on my part,or did the CLP's convey
a more glamorous image?

Cheers,

Paul Hogan