Re: C Class back in service again !........well...

Seymour Railway Heritage Centre wrote:
Fitter Foreman Ian Kemp informed me that At 7:00 am today C 505 was
sitting behind the carriage shed at Dynon, intact!

Peter Williams.

Rod wrote:

> Had an interesting passing conversation with a NR friend last night, and you
> know the heading above seems to be half right at least.
> It seems that NR had no choice but to swap the newer 81 class Locos for
> early builds account Freight Rail discovered they did not own them to give
> away.
> Seems that NR had maintained the 817* units to a pretty good standard, but
> that Freight Rail had run theirs into the ground.
> So the 81's now in NR's care could reasonably be described as junk.
> They could also be seen to be at least part C Class, because that's why the
> C's went west, they have steadily stripped out traction motors, Alternators
> and many large components to keep the 81's working. Apparently 505 is now
> being stripped for spares.
> Good to know that they were not just being "commercial" about their
> withdrawal !
> Seems NR lost big time with the 81 c/o, but that they have made up a lot of
> ground, by using the bits to refurbish the 81's
> Mean time forget about the C's, like rail that has been pulled up, you are
> unlikely to see them again.
> Rod :o{

Well that means that C505 has returned from Adelaide after traction motor work. I have been told that it( C505) and C508 are to be reactivated. For use as yard shunters. The story I have been told that RTS are to upgrade the cabs on both units shortly for driver only work. No plans to cut off the nose.

There was a sightings posting by Graham Elliot in regards to C505 going west early last week