Re: Ararat BG connections

On 5 Mar 1999 07:38:16 GMT, markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote,
and I selectively quote:

>Ararat has a population of what, 5,000? Beufort, lucky to have 2000. There are
>other places in Victoria with more people that do not have any service.

The Government talk was that this would become a mid western "hub" for
food and perishables requiring expedited delivery to the docks for
export: well forget the dock connection, we can at least get the
Ararat connection in.  At least that track is not ARTC-controlled -
maybe FV will do its sums and figure it's cheaper to re-open Ararat
rather than pay ARTC track access and then struggle with the lack of
SG yards/loading/unloading space in Melbourne.

Hmm..... I wonder if that isolated piece of track from Lorimer Street
to Webb Dock was included in the VF sale?  The rails were never lifted
beyond the City Link bridge and the yard at Webb Dock seems
substantially intact.  But how would you ever re-connect that bit of
track to the rest of the network?

Regards

Yuri
--