Re: MELB: W class internal lighting

Ron BEST wrote:

> How many globes are there in a W? I've never been able to get it right
> (referring here to unmodified cars, i.e. no battery. I think the front
> marker and tail lights (as well as the hazards) run off the battery in the
> OPO cars, yes?)
>
> Each end saloon 3 x 2 = 6
> Centre saloon 3 (from memory)
> Each desto box 3 x 2 = 6
> Headlights = 1 (at a time)
> Marker lights = 6 (at a time) (4 front, two rear)
> Route no. boxes= 2 x 2
>
> Total is 6+3+6+1+6+4=26, which is not divisble by 6. Explanation, Mr Spock?

For unmodified cars (SW5 and later):
Destination boxes 2 each   =4
Route Boxes 1 each          =2
Saloons 2 rows of 6 each  =12
Headlights 5                      =5
Tail lights 2                       =2

Total                                =25

As you say, this does not add up. I can only assume that 1 circuit had 7 instead
of 6, but I cannot figure out which one.

W5 and earlier cars had:

Headlights                       =5
Tail lights                         =2
Destination signs 2 x 2     =4
Route Nos 2 x 1             =2
Saloons 2 x 3                  =6
Drop centre                    =5

Total                              =24    (4 circuits of 6 x100v)

It was standard practice to wire a car so that a failed globe did not fail all
the lights in one area.

John McCallum