Re: Trivia - Double Slip points

Seeing as the Doctor has trouble writing the prognosis, we'll try:

take a diamond crossing (2 lines crossing at an angle of say 20-30 degrees)
add point mechanisms to allow trains to turn from one line to the other
- single slip: only one side has "points"
- double slip: both sides have points

Used where space is limited.

Given more space - before the crossing, there'd be 4 sets of points to make
two crossovers between the intersecting railway lines. But it's much easier
and cheaper  just to merge two lines with one set of points, then diverge
them again with another! That's why they're disappearing fast, like scissors
crossings.