Re: Balloon loops on Australian tramways

Gordon Macmillan ; gmac@melbpc.org.au wrote in message
<7b61ss$e87$1@possum.melbpc.org.au>...
>At Caulfield a "round the block" tramway loop existed on North side of
railway.

>Served demand for patrons to Caulfield racecourse from St Kilda via
Carlisle St
>and Inkerman Rd. (Route 3)
>
>It was removed, about 1980 ?  when Dandenong Road was widened and a siding
>provided.

Also, I believe that the Luna Park terminus of the Carlisle St line was once
a Balloon Loop, roughly through the site where the McDonald's is now. Sorry,
I don't have any dates of when it was is existence.

Regards,

Mike Alexander
(malex@bigfoot.com)