Re: Suggestions for a better Melbourne

John Cleverdon wrote:
> > *  Electrification of the Stony Point line from Frankston, with a new
> > station in Hastings called "Old Tyabb" (adjacent to Old Tyabb township).
> > Services would run Richmond - South Yarra - Caulfield - Moorabbin -
> > Cheltenham - Chelsea - Carrum - Frankston then all to Stony Point.
>
> Could be useful, especially if linked with a faster ferry service to Cowes.
> Again, I mentioned in a thread some time back that this could come in handy with
> racing on Phillip Island.
> To be effective, you would need trains direct from Melbourne - Stony Point, ie.,
> no change at Frankston (whether EMUs or DMUs).

There is also a proposal for a fast jetcat service between Stony Point and
Tasmania. The crossing time would be something like 4 hours, and a pair of
them could provide three services per day. We could see the return of the
boat train! :)

> How much would electrification to Geelong, and a ~35 minute service, cost, when
> compared to the ~$240m given for the Princes Fwy upgrade in the current
> "agit-prop" campaign?

For half that cost you could electrify the line, and upgrade it for 200km/h
running!

Cheers
David