Pinching locomotives.

This is not an abnormal occurrance , but I wondered if anyone knows how it
formally works.
One of the locos on BM5 , NR5 or 11 failed on the up side of Yass Junction
tonite and a replacement loco was obtained from a following Freightcorp
wheatie, (9324)  I am guessing an 81 as I couldnt hear all of the conversation
too well.
This train normally has 2 X 81s as its an empty going to Coota.
The dead NR was / is stored in the siding at Yass.
How does this sort of thing work.
Is there some agreement between NRC and Freightcorp to allow loco swaps
at short notice
I know it doesnt work in reverse as freightcorp crews arnt allowed to drive
NRs.
Do NRC have to pay Freightcorp for the use of their locos in
these circumstances?

cheers
MD