Re: ODD DESTINATIONS

John Duncan McCallum wrote in message <376F67FB.A4976341@melbpc.org.au>...

>"Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)" wrote:
>
>> Inspired by a recent posting to a different thread, I thought I revive
the
>> "TRIVIA" tradition of this n,g, with a competition for the oddest-named
>> public transport destination. [To confirm with the "rules" of this n.g.,
>> they should be (or have been) RAIL destinations.] My initial candidates
>> (with due acknowledgement to Traction Australia Publications) are:
>
>> Subiaco (Perth - tram)
>> Eaglehawk (Bendigo - tram)
>> Chelsea - World's End (London - bus/tram?)
>> Putney - Green Man  (London - bus/tram?)
>  Football (Melbourne - tram)
>  ^^^^^^^^
>  Also Perth (tram)

Manchester, in England, beats that. They have the destination
'MATCH', but since there are two clubs in different parts of the
city I've often wondered what happened if one boarded the wrong bus,
UK Soccer fans being what they are.

They also have the destination 'FOG', used, you guessed it, during
Fog. They've got some great other ones,too. "Besses O' The Barn",
"Irlams O' T' Height' and Strangeways.

At least two Yorkshire systems, Doncaster and Sheffield had desinations
named 'Intake' and I believe that there's another one of the same name
in Bradford. There are several named 'Halfway' as well.

And if we include pub names, as in Putney and Chelsea above, my favourite
is Ashtead (Leg of Mutton and Cauliflower)