Re: Latest from the NSW rumour mill

Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message

**SNIP**

> Privatising Freightcorp makes sense, but not 49% of it .
> You would have to sell the lot to get a good price and you would also have
> sell or lease the tracks , a la Victoria.
> It needs to be done soon though before the Hunter Valley is opened for
> competition, I beleive this is 2002.

I really don't agree with selling or leasing the tracks. If that happens,
bye bye Austrac, bye bye Silverton, bye bye NRR, bye bye NR intrastate work.
I agree RAC needs to be fixed and the access charges have to be consistent
and transparant, but you don't have to throw the baby out with the bath
water.

Ben Staples