Re: Sydney CityRail suburban service chaos - AM services Thursday 17 June 1999

Daniel Nightingale wrote:

> The actual cause according to RSA was that snap cold temperatures caused
> several points to malfunction. Athough they are normally adjusted for the
> colder seasons, RSA didn't have a chance due to Olympic projects etc

Huh! As one who maintained point machines and their adjustment in Victoria (NE
SG) I have never heard of adjusting points for the weather. And besides you
are always trying to tell us that the weather in Sydney is warmer than
Victoria so that can't be the problem. Occasionally when a point failure fixed
itself before we could find the cause we would suggest that it was ballast in
the blades, worked some of the time.

David..