Re: Melbourne (Aus) 80th anniversary of suburban electrification

David McLoughlin <davemcl@REMOVEiprolink.co.nz> wrote:

> David Bromage wrote:
> >
> > Rod wrote:
> >
> > > A tram is never a train!

...Unless it's an LRV   :-)

What about the Essen Stadtbahn? Aren't the LRVs on that regarded as
trame? They were definately trains when they ran on the Docklands Light
Railway in London.

> > But trains can run on tramways.
>

> And trams can run on railways, and do so more often than you will find a
> train on a railway.

Yes, there's never a train on the railway when you want one...
...and if there is it's usually a freight train.

> In Germany, the trams in Karlsruhe and since 1997 the brand new tramway
> system of Saarbrücken, run on main line railway tracks even using the
> 25kV AC overhead rather than the 750vDC overhead on city streets.
>
> They are still trams, not trains.
>
> Melbourne's route 96 and 109 trams run on former railway lines, but they
> too are still trams.
>
> The only place I can recall offhand where trains run on tram tracks is
> one of the Buenos Aires (Argentina) metro lines where the trains use a
> heritage tramway through a city street to get to and from their depot.

One other place they do is Manchester. The East Lancashire Railway is a
steam (and preserved diesel) line running from Bury. The railway from
Manchester to Bury became a tramway (Metrolink). When they move
rollingstock in or out by rail, it runs over the tram tracks.

--
Aidan Stanger
Junk email will be charged at 5 millicoulombs/line.