Re: URGENT! Researcher for major motion picture needs info!

In article <37606878.FB483F22@omni.com.au> David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au> writes:
>Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:38:02 +1100
>From: David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au>
>Subject: Re: URGENT!  Researcher for major motion picture needs info!

>Ian Buchan wrote:
>> I'm a researcher for an upcoming major motion picture that may or may not
>> be shooting in Australasia depending on whether we can find trains from the
>> 1890 period in use in picturesque, preferably mountainous locations.

>There are suitable trains and locations right on my doorstep in the national
>capital. The Australian Railway Historical Society in Canberra has locomotive
>1210, built in 1878 and still operational and certified for main line
>operation. It was still an express passenger locomotive into this
>century, so would be authentic for your film.

>ARHS also has carriages from the 1890s which are certified for main line
>operation.

>The line between Canberra and Goulburn would be most suitable for your
>purposes. It has a wide range of scenery from wide flat plains (the
>regular Xplorer service between Sydney  and Canberra runs at up to
>90mph) to steep mountain sections. The Molongolo Gorge is particularly
>spectacular. The historic Queanbeyan station is also  very photogenic.

>You can find photos of all of the above on the web, some of them on RailPage
>which I maintain.

>Loco 1210:
>http://arhs.netsite1.net.au/medium/L1210.JPG

>End platform carriage, c1890:
>http://arhs.netsite1.net.au/medium/BI1127.JPG

>Scenic shots of the route between Goulburn and Canberra:
>http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/railcars/Xplorer_Molongolo.jpg
>http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/railcars/Xplorer_Mt_Fairy.jpg
>http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/diesel/8149-8109_2138_Burbong_18-10-97.jpg

>Queanbeyan:
>http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/diesel/4306+4490_SL38_Queanbeyan_3-8-96_2.jpg
>http://arhs.netsite1.net.au/large/qbn_stn.JPG

>A major attraction to filming this sort of movie around Canberra is that
>the
>best scenery is within 30 minutes drive of Canberra airport and the
>major hotels.
>Canberra is also only a 45 minute flight or 3 hour drive from Sydney.
>The Australian Capital Territory government is keen to attract business
>to Canberra, so tax breaks or other financial incentives may be
>available to encourage you to film here.

>The only suitable location near Sydney is Thirlmere, about 90 minutes drive.
>The preserved line is not very well maintained and you'd be lucky to get the
>train up to 15mph.

>There are several other suitable filming locations in New South Wales,
>but they are a long way from where the preserved rollingstock is
>maintained. It would be prohibitively expensive to hire a train of
>century old rollingstock and take it 300 miles north or west of Sydney
>for filming.

> [...]

I am probably biassed but, the Michelago line is possibly the most suitable
for film work. The line is independently controlled and the lack of traffic
allows filming to take place with relative ease, and the scenery is pretty
good as well. We are also experienced in the film industry.

Dave Malcolm