Smelly interior of carriage on 1010a.m Dandenong to Spencer St via Loop

Last Saturday 5th June 1999, myself and others travelled to Geelong by train
from Warragul.
The 915a.m Vline service from Warragul consisted of a single Sprinter,
crewed by a driver and a conductor.
The conductor was kept occupied selling tickets to passengers who boarded at
intermediate stations along the route,  and in very quick time we had
arrived at Dandenong.
The ride of the Sprinter on the up line between Wgl. and Dng. was the best I
have ever experienced on any train on this line, and the presentation of
staff and vehicle was excellent.
On our arrival at Dng. we had to change trains, which is some what of a
nuisance as my fellow passengers are slightly mobility impaired.
The 1010a.m up suburban com-eng train arrived and we boarded at the first
convenient door, I know some would say this is silly and that we should have
checked out the whole train before boarding but there you go that's what we
did because it was convenient.
Unfortunately as we entered the carriage our olfactory senses where assailed
by the stench emanating from within.
Apart from the general graffiti on seat pads, walls, doors, and ceilings and
floors , and some cracked windows,you could say the carriage was very modern
and up with the best on offer in most urban transport systems around the
world.
I would offer the suggestion that  carpeting on the floor should be replaced
with vinyl or some such hard wearing material and like wise the seat pads
which appear to be used as foot rests by the passengers.
I think most of the smell came from the carpet which appeared to be very
damp but it was a bit hard to tell as it was mostly black.
(Do the maintenance teams hose out the interior of the carriages like the
pub bar after six o'clock closing?)
On our arrival at Spencer St,none the worse for wear,having seen no
passenger die in a pool of blood,inject them selves with drugs,bash a fellow
passenger, or vomit on to the floor, however the chap in the seat across the
way was drinking a can of United distillers Bourbon and Coke and playing his
portable radio so that we could all hear it.
We eventually made our way to platform 2 and boarded the 1155a.m Vline train
to Geelong,the consist being N class loco and H set,4cars.
This train was very clean and well patronised, by footy fans heading off to
the game at Shell stadium,formally known as Kardinia Park.
On our return from Geelong the train was, N class and 3car N set and this
consist made the 655p.m down Sale train, which we travelled home on.
Well that's about it folks,lets see you pick this one apart.

--
Grime
grime@NOSPAM.tpg.com.au