Railway Digest June 1999

RD June 1999

How widespread is main-line driver-only operation in Australia?
In this month's Railway Digest, we update a process that has
been going on since 1990. From driver-only's beginnings in one
State, we trace its development across Australia and
acknowledge the irony that it is yet to be implemented, despite
trials, on NSW's comparatively high volume freight services.

Twenty years ago this month, an important suburban line
was opened that went through the heart of the Sydney CBD.
We pay tribute to this "rapid transit line"  on the eve of its
anniversary.

Another "Great Survivor" is profiled, this time from South
Australia - Goodwin-Alco unit 961.

As well as all the latest news (like Silverton's plans to use
Parkes as a freight base), we present scoop colour photos
of two new Australian rail developments:

The BHP Iron Ore AC6000s in the Pilbara and Northern
Rivers Railroad's passenger train.

Subscription copies will hopefully be posted tomorrow and
newsagent/hobby shop ones will be available by early next
week. As always, the Editorial team and publisher thank all
RD readers and contributors for their on-going support.

Derek Rogers
Editor - Railway Digest