Re: Kew tram depot

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999 11:03:47 +1100, Gareth Lumsden
<s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> wrote:

>All,
>
>Just to let you know there is now four Z3 class trams based at Kew Depot.
>
>The reason for this interesting: The new route 70 has platforms, Z3's
>cannot run on routes with platforms due to their tappered fronts.
>Therefore more A class trams have gone to Camberwell to run the route 70,
>exchanged for Z3's.  Due to the Yarra / Swanston split, the ex- Camberwell
>Z3's could not be swapped for anything else.
>
>The Kew depot Z3's will run all routes operated by Kew (23, 24, 27, 30,
>31, 34, 42, 48), except the route 109 which has platforms.
>
>AFAIK Kew depot has only had A class trams since withdrawal of the W's,
>(except for refurbished Z1.67 a few years back).
>
>Is this the first working of Z3 from Kew?
>
>Gareth.

>Gareth Lumsden, s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au, glums112@yahoo.com

Hi there

Z3 Trams have run on odd occasions from Kew Depot mainly during the
time i was supervising the installation of AT equipment. Z3's would
come over from Brunswickfor installation and if we had not started
them by about 15h30 the depot would run them on evening peak short
runs to Spencer & Latrobe.

Regards

Anthony Tubbs