Re: The Age today - "Rail Review Gets Released"

In article <37530555.116104@news.enternet.com.au> steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri J  Sos/Melbourne AUS) writes:
>From: steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri J  Sos/Melbourne AUS)
>Subject: The Age today - "Rail Review Gets Released"
>Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 22:00:23 GMT

>In the Business Section (Page 3) of "The Age" today:

>HEADLINE READS: Rail review gets released=20

>By TIM COLEBATCH=20
>ECONOMICS EDITOR=20

>State governments should get out of non-urban rail completely,
>selling their rail operations to the private sector and their rail
>tracks to the Commonwealth, the Smorgon task force on the
>future of rail has urged.

>But in a blunt message to Canberra, which commissioned its
>review, the task force has told the Government it must treble
>immediately its investment in replacing and improving worn-out
>rail track, saying even its recommendation of an extra $470
>million by 2002 would not be enough to rectify the substandard
>state of the national track.

>Read the full article online at

>http://www.theage.com.au/daily/990601/bus/bus9.html

>Regards

>Yuri

A pretty obvious conclusion to solve a totally obvious problem.
The comment that we have had enough inquiries into rail to sink a battleship
is totally true and it cant be argued that Governments dont know what to do.
Its simply an implentation problem , ie Govts do know what to do , but wont do
it.
Lets hope that this is the last inquiry and sense finally prevails.
Somehow though I doubt anything will happen.

MD