Re: new rail hub for River Don in Launceston

<allclear@big.sticks.com.au> wrote in message

> Despite several attempts to save the train, it reduced to three days a
> week, coinciding with the regular ferry crossing into Devonport, and
> then, alas, in the last week of July, 1978, it was withdrawn when
> federal subsidisation was no longer feasible.

> Most of the rolling stock was dispersed, although some has been
> preserved interstate (Victoria and WA).  The Derwent Rail Preservation
> Sociey (based at New Norfolk) has the best set of ASC and single cars.
> They also have genuine locomotives that used to draw the Tasman.  On
> the weekend, a Y and X drew the train to Launceston and return. Top
> speed was 77 kmh.

> Others may care to share their memories of the grand old lady of
> Tasmanian rail!

I spent my only time in Tasmania travelling on the Tasman Ltd in it's last
week of operation. It was a great train, and enjoyable to travel on.

The last arrival at Wynyard was eventful, with the Federal Police throwing
us off after a sit in protest on the train.

IIRC the Tasmanians prevented export of their articulated passenger cars to
the mainland. We got all their historic stuff instead!

Cheers
John Wayman