Re: Ex-Hammersley Iron SD50s & C36-7s....Where Are They Now?

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 13:24:51 +1000, "Chris Stratton"
<stratton.chris.cp@nospam.bhp.com.au> wrote:

>John Engleman <PCCSTREETCAR@webtv.net> wrote in message
>2572-379FC2E1-10@newsd-113.bryant.webtv.net">news:2572-379FC2E1-10@newsd-113.bryant.webtv.net...
>> NRE purchased them, and I understand that they are in Mount Vernon,
>> Illinois, and will use reporting marks of NREX with their old Hammersley
>> numbers.   Will these be the first diesel locomotives ever to operate in
>> revenue service on two continents?
>>

>No. There was a GM F type unit used during construction of one of the
>Pilbara railways and an Alco shunter which were bought second-hand in the
>US.

Two F7's, an Alco C-415 and an NW2 in Aust/US.
I think some US locos have operated in South America
(Brazil/Argentina) so they would also qualify.
Some early SNCF diesels may have found their way to Algeria also, I
will try to confirm/deny.

Of course many, many Russian diesels (and some Turkish?) would have
operated on two continents ;-).

Cheers
Cheers

Krel