Re: 3830 + 4401 to Yulefest at Katoomba

Don Allitt wrote...

<<Thank you .I was not bagging have been on trips myself. I do not beleive
that passengers on steam expect things to go to plan. Don't worry just
enjoy.>>

I did not take you comments as bagging :-)

Railfans are probably fairly tolerant of externally imposed delays, but most
of the passengers on Sunday were general public. They had paid good money to
be transported to Katoomba for a 'feast' type lunch, and the brought back to
Sydney. Getting to Katoomba over an hour late took an hour out of their
feasting time. Getting back to Sydney late meant tried (and irritable) kids,
missed connections and late home for tea. One of the passengers had his car
parked in a car park which would have been closed by the time he returned.
He was up for a penalty to get it released.

As for the  volunteer loco crew, we had signed on at 0530 to prep the loco.
After returning to Sydney we were held in the platform for about 30 minutes.
By the time we returned to Eveleigh, turned the loco, sanded, cleaned the
fire, dropped the ash, coaled and stabled so 3830 would be ready for a trip
for SOCOG the next day it was 2100 before we booked off. Adding an extra
couple of hours makes for a long day. We do enjoy it, but it can be
frustrating.

Trevor