Re: City Rail Security Guards

Ian Larcher wrote:

> Wouldn't it be far better for Cityrail to bite the bullet and get those
> other so called guards off their collective $#@%# and patrol the train?

All very well when there is a minimum of 4 minutes between stations, not on a
Banko circle.  On Friday night, I patrolled my entire train four times between
Cronulla and Central, a total of 640 metres walking.  In this same time, the
Security Guards moved exactly 8 metres.  They were removed from the train at
Central for not carrying out their duties.

> Most can't even be bothered to announce stations let alone do anything
> constructive towards improving security.

Most?  So, over 50% of guards don't announce stations?  What is this "fact"
based on?

> By the way it's interesting to note
> how many Train Guards obviously have English as a second language- maybe
> Chubb has taken a leaf out of Cityrails book?

It is also interesting to note how many passengers have English as a second
langauge!  Maybe passengers have taken a leaf out of Chubb's book?

> As for PTU demands that these
> jobs be given to redundant staff- good idea. If they were prepared to have a
> go which seems unlikely- one only has to look at the currant std of service
> offered.

Look at staff morale.  It is close to zero, hence no desire to put any effort
in.  Improving staff morale would also improve customer service.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au