Re: Flying Scotsman

Neil O'Connor wrote in message <37930F83.80DABEE3@acslink.net.au>...
>At http://www.flyingscotsman.com/ there are pictures of a tour it did in
>USA. Is USA the same gauge? Was it regauged to run there? I can imagine
>all sorts of alignment problems with the cylinders.
>
>Neil.

The track gauge is the same for the main lines - i.e. 4 ft 8 1/2 inches,
known as standard gauge.  The loading gauge, ie clearance above and wide of
the track is much more generous than either Britain or Australia.  This
gauage varies around the country, eg Amtrak can run its double deck
Superliner cars virtually everywhere west of Chicago, but has to use smaller
dimensioned cars on its routes throughout the north-east, but even these are
larger than the British loading gauge permits.

Regards

David Bennetts
Canberra