Re: Road and Rail Funding (was Re: Bugger all express services on Hillside Trains)

David McLoughlin wrote:
Which is why I argue users should be charged the full price for driving
over them.
My belief is that we have to re-define what is categorised as "full
price". Too many people in authority believe this means just the tarmac
the vehicles run over. I believe is should include all costs
attributable to the roads including the hospital and rehabilitaion of
crash victims; traffic enforcement; storm water treatment; sound
proofing adjacent buildings and anything else that can be attributed to
the fact that here is a road there.
Those costs should be met fully from the petrol taxes, with no subsidies
from taxpayers or ratepayers.
Evan James