Re: A question...

> > <<<<<<Normal Speed
> >
> > > On signal posts, what does the sign `NS' mean?>>>>>>
> >

> It's been mentioned before. The "S" effectively means Short thus NS means resume
> Normal speed for Short trains.

Gentlemen,
I refer to the PTC (Vic) Book of Rules and Operating Procedures 1994 (as
amended) which states (Section 15 - Infrastructure Works - Page 15-13)
in Rule 7(c), for the official definition:

"The 'NS' (normal speed) sign is a white rectangular board with a black
'NS' painted on the face.  It is displayed to the Driver of an
approaching train.  The sign is positioned 200 metres in advance of the
outer limits of the track repairs.  It applies to passenger trains
consisting of eight vehicles or less, electric suburban trains, light
locomotives and rail motors."

and clause (e) -

"Drivers must comply with the speed indicated by the signs over the
track work operation.  Except as provided in para (c) above, they must
not increase speed until the locomotive has passed the 'N' sign in
advance of teh outer limits of the track repairs."

By the way, ASR and Patrick are delighted have just signed a contract
for continued operation of the AM3/MA3 services - up to 6 per week.

Various operating efficiencies and equipment will be tested on these and
other ASR services to ensure that ASR (and our subcontractors where
appropriate) continue to supply efficient interstate and intrastate rail
operations to our customers.

Barry Walding
Manager (Operating Practices) ASR Adelaide