Re: Silverton

Roderick Smith wrote:

> AFAIK, up to 1969 the company was Silverton Tramway Company and the trading
> name was Silverton Tramway.
> When the national sg route was opened and the Broken Hill - Burns line was
> closed, Silverton retained the rights for Broken Hill shunting, and went
> into trucking more, plus railway-maintenance work for contract.
> AFAIK it became Silverton Transport Industries; What was the trading name?

<snip>

ISTR from 1975 that it traded as Silverton Transport and General
Industries. Some years later (1986), I met a person who had been
employed by them and he told me that the road transport and agency
business was run independently of the rail services. I think he was made
redundant which is how I came to meet him.

The company was at different times a subsidiary of various
conglomerates, including one of the insurance groups. I don't know who
owns it now.

Barry Campbell