Re: ODD DESTINATIONS

Roderick Smith wrote in message <01bec767$a5149120$b72d11cb@rodsmith>...
>Another station of interest for this thread is the anglicised version of
>the Zimbabwean coal-mining town Hwange.
>
>--
>Regards
>Roderick Smith
>Rail News Victoria Editor

If we are going to stray to darkest Africa, then a odd one is Sub Nigel,
also is/was in Zimbabwe, I think.

Sub Nigel was a large coal mine, complete with private rail access, on which
ran some neat smallish 4-8-2's (ex SAR 14C?). In the late 70's, if there was
steam running, there would be an accompaniment of Australian railfans, and I
came to know this from sitting and watching the 8mm movie footage at the
local rail soc gathering of a Sub Nigel 4-8-2 transfer the fulls and
empties. Clinging to the front buffer was the African shunter, who did not
look too pleased with all the media exposure.

As we watched a voice up the back said "the shunter looks a bit sub nigel";
"yeah" said another voice he looks like Mark ----" (keen young loco
volunteer, and always covered in soot, coal dust and oil). Mark ----
answered "at least mine washes off."