Re: A question...

George wrote:

> I will take photos tomorrow and show you what they say. CC for Clyde
> Carlingford and I must admit it is ML and MS means Metropolitan local and
> suburban. Also what about Bankstown, it is B go out there and have a look

This thread has become lost, as some people are quoting signal numbers, and some
are quoting stanchions, while others are quoting signals.

The above is one example.  CC is used on stanchions for Clyde-Carlingford, but
there are no signals on the line with the exception of those controlled by
Parramatta Road signal box, which have PR prefixes.  As stanchions go over all
lines, they have only the line letters as their prefixes.  The stanchions over
the Suburban and Local lines are all SL prefixes, which stands for Sydney -
Lithgow.  The signals have M, S or L prefixes depending on which line they are
for, and between Granville and Harris Park they have WM and WS prefixes for West
Main and West Suburban.  On the Illawarra line, the stanchions have SW prefixes
for Sydney - Wollongong.  The signals have SM prefixes between St Peters and
Oatley for Sydenham control centre, and have I and IL suffixes for Illawarra and
Illawarra Local.  In the bidirectional areas under Sydenham's control (ie
Allawah - Oatley), they have DI, UI, DIL and UIL suffixes.

Confused yet?

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard